Arshad Abdulla …a gentle, moving spirit!

by Noorjehan Bilgrami

“Kaisee ho?” – a questioning nod with a half raised eyebrow, that was how Arshad would greet me. It seemed he did not quite expect an answer nor would he wait to hear the response, he would move on to address the meeting or the reason for being together.

He appeared as someone shy, unable to reveal his emotions – almost as if protecting himself and equally wary of getting inadvertently pulled into any emotional tangle.

I first met Arshad in 1985, when I requested him to redesign my shop, Koel, (at that time located in the annexe of our house). I needed fresh input to make a complete change in the shop. Some of the buildings designed by ASA had impressed me – simple, clean lines and meticulous detailing were the hallmark of their work.

Arshad had a soft demeanour and gentle approach but was very analytical when it came to planning. After two or three site visits, I was surprised when he brought his brother, Shahid Abdulla, to the site to ask his advice about the colour scheme. Later, I realized how very inseparable the two were. To Arshad’s perhaps cold, but well resolved plan, Shahid added the warmth, bathed it with the ‘magic.’ Arshad’s forte was planning while interior design was the preserve of Shahid, his closest friend and most trusted companion.

0 comments:

   
Copyright © 2012 ADA: Architecture Design Art.